Monday, October 13, 2008

A catastrophic experience

Bike riding is always a thrill. I enjoyed bike ride every time. I and Abhijeet are so confident about each others company on bike that we enjoyed every movement on the bike. I roamed on bike so many times with him. I like the tom boy stylish bike riding. Its always fun with him on bike. Since he had the bike we forgot to walk. Our small bike ride was acceptable but first time we went to pune on bike- almost 200 km journey to and fro. It was a safe and nice journey. Then we got the second chance to go to Pune as our last installment fees date was due. And as usual we planned our second visit to Pune on bike.

We started our day at 8.00 am instead of 7.30 am coz I was late. It was fun to be on bike but to drive in Pune’s traffic is terrific. Here I must say that it is quite a bit of a problem, in fact quite a pain in Pune to drive coz no one bothers to follow the traffic rules. The bus drivers respect nothing and no one. The four wheelers overtake another with other vehicles coming in front. The road at Pune was horrible as usual. Very crowded, uneven tarmac and little or no place to overtake, specially for Abhijeet who was just in his 8th month of driving bikes, with hardly 9000 kms to his credit. That is where we thought that we lost our way to college but finally we found it and reached the college on time. We finished our work as fast as we can and then rested in the Symbiosis’s canteen. He was recollecting his college day’s memories in the canteen. And I started realizing the pleasures of motorcycle driving in the hills, the winding roads, the greenery, the mountains, the fabulous gorges, the ravines, the waterfalls. It was a great drive; we finished our quick snacks break and started our return journey.

We looked at the sky but it looked to be not on our side for the moment. But Driving in the rains brings with it its own set of nostalgic feelings. Green as much as the eye can see, Fog, mist and lovely scenery. Abhijeet was in very good mood…he had sung songs …we had butta (corns) ..Weather was pleasant …it was thundering and lighting but not so badly…we were very happy n enjoying the unplanned rainy picnic but suddenly climate had changed…rains were so bad that it became difficult to negotiate the ghats. That day it was pouring heavily, raincoats were of no use….lighting was also very horrific. ..Suddenly a ray of light occurred in front of him and bike slipped. We fell…in a fraction of second everything had happen. I didn’t even get time to know that I was not on bike but on road…. But I remembered Abhi’s reaction ….he fall and got up to look at me…he wanted to know where I am? His movements were so quick that I still remembered his reaction as fresh as it was that day. He got hurt on his knee and hand. I was completely fine except some scratches on hand. But trust me after that the rains and lighting were worst that it became hard to drive for him. So we waited there for some time. We passed almost 10-15 mins in the middle of highway but rains didn’t stop. It turned out to be worst. So we planned to move slowly….he tried again ..but not able to see in front … so again we stopped. …meanwhile he kept asking whether I was afraid or not… I was but didn’t tell him coz that was not the time ….I wanted him to concentrate on his driving so that we can reach Khopoli safely. It was a very thundering experience….thankfully for few minutes there were no vehicles on highway…we fell..got up and waited at the side of the road …then a big container passed… I said “ think ..if this container was there when we fall…”. Abhijeet shattered coz if that was there then today I won’t be writing this …J J but God was with us and still we alive for more bike ridings in nearer future.

No comments: